Project update May 2023
Works to start
Works along the pier end of Lord Street, the foreshore and Cairns Street (along the foreshore) will go ahead this winter after the 2023 Works Package tender was awarded to Civilnow at the Council meeting on 18 April.
We are now working with Civilnow to confirm a more detailed timeline to enable businesses and residents to plan over the coming months.
While a specific start date has not yet been confirmed, the Norfolk Pines and foreshore areas will be handed to Civilnow in July, with works to be completed before the Melbourne Cup long weekend in November.
Works on the central area of Lord Street (between Cairns and Morris Streets) will take place over winter 2024. Works to the top carpark and walking trail up at Beacon will be revised while these first sections are completed.
What do these works involve?
- New timber decking lookout and picnic areas under the Norfolk Pines and around the Rocket Shed
- New treatment on Lord Street surface (pier end)
- New street furniture and bike racks. This includes drinking fountains with dog bowls, outlets for phone charging, electric bbqs, picnic tables, seating and e-bike chargers
- New lawn areas, garden beds, trees and pathways on the foreshore
- New pavement on Cairns Street (along foreshore)
- Integrated art by Vicki Couzens
What can you expect?
In the initial stages of construction you may not see a great deal of activity, with the exception of securing work sites with fencing, and health and safety barriers.
Council officers will meet with individual businesses to discuss how access issues can be minimised for customers while works are taking place.
Residents and businesses in the Lord Street (pier end) and foreshore area will always have reasonable access to their premises during the construction period.
Contract details will be finalised with Civilnow over the next few weeks.
In the meantime, please contact Aaron Huttig on 0434 053 465 or speak to Aaron in person at the site office each Wednesday if you have any queries.